TUAS International Week 2019 - Smart Approaches Towards a Better Life
Welcome to the TUAS International Week in April 8 – 12, 2019!
Main theme of the week: Smart Approaches Towards a Better Life
Target groups: teachers and RDI-staff
The faculties of Engineering & Business and Health & Well-being of Turku University of Applied Sciences (TUAS) welcome you to share your expertise with the participants of the week by giving a lecture or workshop or in other ways actively contributing to the programme of the week.
The week will give you the opportunity to exchange ideas and plan future cooperation with all the participants, including TUAS teachers, staff and R&D experts as well as share your expertise with our students. Part of the programme is organized together with both faculties giving the guests an opportunity for multiprofessional cooperation. The faculty of Health and Well-being welcomes your students as well to participate the programme of the week. Your students are welcome to give a poster or oral presentation too as part of the weeks programme. We will acknowledge their participation with a certificate of attendance.
Both faculties will organize their own conference days based on the lectures, workshops and / or presentations of the guests as well as our own staff. Feel free to send us your case study presentation, a workshop or a lecture. Please note that the audience will be multidisciplinary.
As part of the programme we will organize an RDI-fair where the guests and RDI-staff at TUAS will have the chance to present their research projects. The week will give an opportunity to build future cooperation among the different research areas and other project ideas.
Focus areas of the week:
Today’s work environment values an entrepreneurial attitude. Our students learn this attitude and the needed skills in various learning environments, such as BusinessAcademies in Salo and Turku. Student-owned and run co-ops design and implement tailor-made development projects to meet organizations’ needs, from short assignments to large scale and longer undertakings. For students, project work provides working life competences and valuable contacts. For companies, the projects offer possibilities to make use of the latest applied research and innovative solutions.
Digitalization & ICT
Digitalization and ICT belong to the focus areas of TUAS. We are very interested in developing existing processes and creating new innovations utilizing the opportunities provided by digital tools and technologies. We are also studying how the different forms of digitalization, change the internal and external relationships of organizations and, more broadly, their operational environments. Examples of the key expertize areas related to the different aspects of digitalization at TUAS, are eHealth, different UX/UI technologies, cybersecurity and technologies behind the Internet of Things.
Health and Well-being & Health Technology
The best quality of life is based on the opportunity for a good and healthy life for each resident of the region. To support this, developing well-being is at the core of our activities. With our scientific and artistic expertise and in multiprofessional cooperation with our partners, we continuously produce new, user-oriented and productized well-being solutions.
Smart Machines research group has two main research areas. One of the areas focuses on energy use, emission of land and sea vehicle and their auxiliary systems. Another research area includes laser welding and welding automation research. The research question can consist of subsystem from land or sea vehicle (e.g. engine, hybrid electric powertrain, heating boilers or heat exchanges). It can also be a complex hybrid powertrain system or energy use optimization. A welding and welding automation research focuses on new laser welding techniques and automation systems that supports welding stations.
New Energy Solutions
Energy transition puts new challenges for the energy and mobility sectors. The cross-cutting themes are Energy 3D: Decarbonization, Decentralization and Digitalization. To cover these themes, sustainable production of electricity, decentralized energy systems, storage of electrical energy and e-mobility need to be implemented. TUAS New Energy research group is strongly focusing and developing teaching as well as research activities on these topics. Electrical energy storage systems are important new element of the smart electric grid and sustainable transport. Students at energy and environment as well as mechanical engineering are learning these system in theory and in practical projects. Topics like battery systems in electrical grid, vehicle charging infrastructures and second life of EV batteries are relevant and actual.
Examples of the TUAS research and development groups participating in the RDI-Fair (to be updated):
- Built Environment
- Circular Business Models
- Design Thinking
- Global Gateway – Management and Development of Services in an International Environment
- New Energy
- New Modes and Platforms for Value Creation
- CoSki21 (Core Skills for 21. Century Professionals)
- Lukemattomat mahdollisuudet
- Value co-creation in and through eSports
- Smart Machines
- Water and Environmental Engineering
- Note that there is a participation fee of 100 € /person to cover the costs for the welcome event supper and cocktails on Monday, all lunches (Tue-Fri), bus transportation to the Salo IoT Campus and bus to the Thursday get-together & the dinner at the traditional milieu.
- Guests, please register to the desired programme (both faculties have their own separate programme on Wed, Thu, Fri)
- Before you start the registration, please have with you:
- credit card details OR
- information for an invoice: name of the organization, reference, street address, postal code, city, country and possible VAT number (if required by your home institution).
- In case you cannot finish the application, please start the registration process again, by using the same registration link below.
- Programme of the Faculty of Engineering and Business, register here
- Programme of the Faculty of Health and Well-being, register here
- Registration deadline: 28th February 2019
- Cancellations: Full return of the participation fee, if cancelled by 15th March 2019. After that the participation fees won’t be returned. All the registered applicants will be accepted to the week.
- For Erasmus teacher or staff agreements, please contact the International Relations Staff.